A Bird-Of-Prey, yes but a Romulan Bird-Of-Prey (part 1) !

Finally resuming work on the 1/1400 Romulan Bird-Of-Prey ! Got a lot of bad luck on this one, but everything is finally back on track !

But let’s start at the beginning, here are some pics of the kits before any work done :

romulan_BOP-5

romulan_BOP-9

romulan_BOP-10

romulan_BOP-11

romulan_BOP-15

romulan_BOP-16

The few minor flaws were quickly dealt with, but that’s when disaster (or clumsiness) struck !

romulan_BOP-22

I actually drop the model ! And as everything was glued with epoxy, it’s not the glue joint that broke, it’s the resin ! The worst damage was the wing, it’s an extremely thin piece, and very difficult to re-glue…

romulan_BOP-23

Then second stupid thing that I did : I over-sanded and completely changed the shape of the wing !

romulan_BOP-1

That took a while to fix. I used Apoxie sculpt to “fill” the most of it, then successive layer of putty to re-form the wing.

romulan_BOP-111

The back of the nacelles were also really bad, with a lot of bubbles in them, so instead of trying the fix them, I’ve sculpted some domes “outside” of the nacelles, copying the design of the Enterprise, as the Romulan BOP was supposed to be created with stolen design plan from Starfleet.

romulan_BOP-nacelles

But in the end, I got everything taken care of, and ready for painting !

romulan_BOP-66

Painting and decaling will be the subject of part 2 as I’m still tweaking a few things, but here’s a quick look :

romulan_BOP-52

One of the thing I’m gonna change, is the nacelles caps. I will be repainting those in red/orange…

 

See you soon for part 2 !

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
google_plusrssyoutube