And it was finally time to paint the Bird-Of-Prey ! I decided to go with a pale green base coat, so I choose 3 colors :
- Vallejo Model Color Pastel Green 70.885
- Vallejo Model Air Pale Green 71.095
- Vallejo Model Air White Grey 71.119
Those three colors were mixed to get different shades :
- Mix of VMC Pastel Green and VMA Pale Green for the dark color, however that was a little too close to my base color;
- Straight VMC Pastel Green for my base color;
- Mix of VMC Pastel Green and VMA White Grey to do the highlights
For airbrushing, I used a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution X with a 0.15 mm setup.
I started with my darker color, in the corners and recesses, and I used a piece of paper to accentuate the panel lines.
On the nacelles and on the back, as there wasn’t any details, I created them, using my piece of paper.
Next was my base color. This isn’t a pre-shading technique, so I was careful not to cover the previous color. However, the contrast between the two shades wasn’t enough, and the difference is barely visible…
Then I did the Highlights, hitting the top of the model, like the bridge, the fin, etc… And re-doing the paper trick, but the opposite way I did before…
And this is how it looked once the paint had dried.
For the end of the nacelles, I went for a metallic look, with the dome lighter in color (like on the Enterprise).
I painted them first with Vallejo Model Color Gun Metal, and I then I mixed it with VMC Silver for the domes.
Then, I dry-brushed some Vallejo Model Air Aluminium. That work on two levels, as the Aluminium is lighter in color than Gun Metal, but the VMA range is also more metallic than the VMC, so it had even more contrast.
Next up was the nacelles caps, but I haven’t made up my mind yet. I first painted them blue, but then I realized that it wouldn’t go with the orange decals, so I repainted them. I went for an orange with a metallic effect.
Still not sure I like it better, but I’m gonna wait to see it with the decals to decide.
In the meantime, I took care of the drooping nacelle, and I drill the hole for the clear rod. I also gloss coated the ship and prep it for the decals. And you are now caught up with me, as this is how the model looks like right now !